- William H. Foege Professor of Global Health at the Emory Vaccine Center
- Pro to the question "Should Any Vaccines Be Required for Children?"
“A national outbreak, or an outright national-level measles resurgence, would not be out of the ordinary for a Western country. In recent years, there have been several large sustained outbreaks in Europe… It’s not just luck that the United States hasn’t seen a similar resurgence. There are many things the United States does right in vaccine policy, compared to Europe. For example, the United States has a tapestry of school-entry vaccine requirements that work. These requirements, based in state laws, have contributed to maintaining high immunization rates and keeping rates of vaccine noncompliance low… Mandates have played a key role in keeping disease rates low.”
“Hearing Title: ‘Vaccines Save Lives: What Is Driving Preventable Disease Outbreaks’ – March 05, 2019,” help.senate.gov, Mar. 5, 2019
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to vaccines and healthcare. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to vaccines and healthcare.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, WHO Regional Technical Advisory Group for Immunization in the Eastern Mediterranean, 2017-present
- William H. Foege Professor of Global Health, Emory Vaccine Center, 2016-present
- Member, Maternal Immunization Working Group, Pan American Health Organization, 2015-present
- Professor of Epidemiology & Pediatrics, Schools of Public Health and Medicine, Emory University
- Investigator, Emory Center for AIDS Research
- Co-director, ReadyVax App Expansion Project
- Member, National Vaccine Advisory Committee, 2014-2018
- Member, Vaccine Innovation Working Group, Presidential Advisory Council on Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria, 2016-2017
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America, 2014
- Former Director, Immunization Systems and Public Health Preparedness Project, Emory Preparedness and Emergency Response Research Center
- PhD, Global Disease Epidemiology and Control Program, Johns Hopkins University
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University
- MBBS, The Aga Khan University Medical College (Karachi, Pakistan)
- Twitter handle: @SaadOmer3
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Any Vaccines Be Required for Children?