- Executive Director and CEO of the Permanente Medical Group
- Pro to the question "Should Any Vaccines Be Required for Children?"
“As a society, we don’t condone behavior that puts others at risk for injury or death. There are no exemptions for laws that prohibit drunk-driving, for example.
Refusing vaccination for reasons other than a serious medical condition is unfair and dangerous to those who can’t protect themselves. Those who remain unvaccinated pose a great risk to many, including: all children under 1 year old who are too young to be vaccination, older adults who don’t know their immunity has lapsed and others with impaired immune systems…
Eliminating personal belief exemptions will prevent suffering and save lives. It is the right thing to do.”
“A Doctor’s Take: Why Measles Vaccination Must Be Mandatory,” forbes.com, Feb. 5, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to vaccines and healthcare. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to vaccines and healthcare.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Contributor, Forbes, 2013-present
- Chairman, Council of Accountable Physician Practices, 2011-present
- President and CEO, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group, 2009-present
- Executive Director and CEO, Permanente Medical Group, 1999-present
- Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery, Stanford University
- Lecturer, Organizational Behavior, Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Visiting Professor, Duke University School of Medicine
- Visiting Professor, Haas School of Business
- Visiting Professor, Harvard School of Public Health
- Physician-in-Chief, Permanente Medical Group, 1996-1998
- Residency Director, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Stanford Hospital, 1984-1990
- Assistant Physician-in-Chief, Permanente Medical Group, 1980-1995
- Physician, Permanente Medical Group, 1978-1980
- Resident, plastic and reconstructive surgery, Stanford University Hospital
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine, 1972
- Board certified in plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Twitter handle: @RobertPearlMD
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Any Vaccines Be Required for Children?