- Pediatrician and Former President of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Pro to the question "Should Any Vaccines Be Required for Children?"
“There are a number of diseases which are infectious diseases that cannot be adequately treated with modern medical therapy, and these diseases can cause significant disability and even death in the pediatric population. Some of these diseases have been amenable to the development of vaccines so that we can protect children and adults from these life threatening illnesses, and that’s the main reason that we’re giving vaccines to children is to protect them from untreatable life threatening illnesses…
For viral illnesses such as polio and measles, we do not have antibiotics, and therefore, the vaccine is absolutely essential…
[O]ur citizens need to understand that the vaccine program has been extremely successful. It’s the most effective public health program in the history of man, and we cannot let down our guard just because we’ve done such a good job. We must continue to protect our children and protect our population…
Once again, the Childhood Vaccine Program is the most effective public health program in the history of man. All of my children, all of my grandchildren have received every one of their vaccines right on time, because I am confident that we have a very safe and effective childhood vaccine program.”
Interview, “Sound Advice,” aap.org, Apr. 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to vaccines and healthcare. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to vaccines and healthcare.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founder and Pediatrician, Goldsboro Pediatrics, 1978-present
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- President, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2008-2009
- President, North Carolina Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1993-1995
- Helped establish the NC Universal Childhood Vaccine Distribution Program
- MD, University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill, 1974
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Has testified before the US House of Representatives and the Institute of Medicine
- Has appeared on Larry King, NBC’s Today Show, and many other media outlets.